Today we will be talking about the lesser talked about sibling of the note 20 lineup. Samsung has taken some bold decisions with this one. Lets see if this justifies the price Samsung is asking for this phone. Last years note 10 and note 10 ultra were a hit among the Samsung fans, this year Samsung has made a few changes to the note 20, lets see if it lives up to the expectations.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 comes at a price point of 77990/-, for this price the specification Samsung is providing are justified. But a few aesthetic changes makes this a bit of a downer. The first thing you notice when you get this phone in hand is Samsung has changed the back to plastic in Note 20. Yup that’s true for a phone you are paying 77990/- it comes with a plastic back. Plastic back is okay but why did the remove the curved display. This phone comes with a normal 1080p 60hz display. Nowadays even mid ranged phones have 1080p 90hz display. So this is very disappointing. When you keep it next to note 20 ultra, you wont even notice that this is not glass, you will feel it’s the same back as on note 20 ultra. Also take a note that this phone is a bit thicker than s20 ultra, but the camera bump is not as big, so any cover will relatively eliminate the wobble.
- Coming to the display, the 1080p super amoled plus display provides really good color reproduction, its 6.7” display without curves and 393 ppi density. It supports HDR10+ and is protected by Gorilla Glass 5. The 60hz refresh rate is a bit downer due to the price point, otherwise it’s a really good quality display. The phone also supports always on display. The under display fingerprint scanner is fast and works like a charm. It feels like Samsung has tried to cut their cost but why is it still so much expensive?
- Samsung Note 20 comes with Exynos 990 processor, and it performs nearly equivalent to snapdragon 865+. Note 20 comes in just one variant which 8GB Ram 256GB memory. Also it has got no expandable storage, which is again a downer in this price range. It has got a UFS 3.0 storage, which gives us pretty good speed. The note 20 has got a 4300mAh battery, and supports 25 watts fast charging, which also supports wireless charging and reverse charging. It has a good battery performance.
- On the audio front, the stereo speakers on the note 20 sounds really great. There is no complaint there, there is no 3.5mm audio jack which is again a downer.
Some extra features includes the samsung wireless dex support(wireless desktop experience), which we have not tried. Bixby is there.
The s-pen comes with a lower latency @ 26 milliseconds, last year it was 45 milliseconds, but still it cant compete with the latency of note 20 ultra which has a latency of 9 milliseconds. But as an average user, you wont notice any difference.
- Coming to the camera features, the back sports a triple camera system, with main camera 12MP Dual pixel, second camera 64 MP telephoto and 3x zoom camera, and 3rd camera which is 12MP 13mm ultrawide camera. This camera also supports 1080p video recording @ 30/60/240fps and 720p video recording @ 960 fps. The video recording also supports HDR10+, stereo sound recording and has a gyro EIS and OIS.
- In the front we have a punch hole single 10MP Dual pixel camera,which can record 4k videos @ 30/60fps.
Coming to conclusion, the note 20 doesn’t give users much reasons to upgrade from note 10 or note 1o ultra, or even s20 plus. The following pros and cons can be noticed.
- Pros :-
• Fast chipset snapdragon 865+
• Really good camera
• Stereo speakers
• S-pen with lower latency
• Good battery life/reverse charging
• S-pen is a joy to use
- Cons :-
• No edge display
• Really thick and plastic body at this price range
• 1080p display @ 60hz! Really?
• Performance varies between snapdragon 865+ and exynos
• Charging speed is not competitive to other products in the market
• High price/feature ratio
Overall the phone is good, but not worth the asking price, the note 10 lite with a slightly lower processor and camera, costs less than half the price of note 20. Also Oneplus 8 Pro or Moto Edge Plus will offer a better price performance ratio and the looks are also much better. This time Samsung has let us down. If we judge it on the basis of looks and features Samsung has kept a pretty high price.